My Fiance and I were in our early 20's just beginning in our jobs & had low credit but we needed a vehicle in order for my fiance to get to work. So we went to Drive Time as they were the only ones that would approve us for a car.
Neither of us had much experience or knowledge on the subject. The sales person told us I had to be on the lease also & showed us 5 different cars, the first one we said we liked they were going to get it and then said that someone else had already claimed it and explained that another center had one similar but at a slightly higher rate, then when they called over... oops that one was gone also, so then they showed us the third slightly higher priced vehicle and then promptly found yet another reason why we couldnt get it, so finally w/the last two choices and the fear of another sudden "oops" happening again we hurried & signed the lease. With in one week the windows didnt roll up anymore and although we were assured the fluids had all been filled it was only the 2nd day that the oil light came on.
We contacted our Sales Rep and were told we couldnt return it because it would be breaking the lease. So we stuck with it and found that the casing on the ignition pulled completely off when we pulled the key out not our 3rd week in, the cigarette lighter never worked and so we called the warranty line & were told to take it to a specific location which was a good 20 min drive away but we were assured the $40 fee would be waived so we sucked it up and waited for the few hours it took for them to diagnose the car, then the mechanic came back and told us it was an issue w/the electrical system and would require a different kind of diagnoses that would be another $180 if we wanted it checked. We couldnt afford that what with the bi-monthly payments taking up my fiance's check and mine barely covering our other bills. So we called Drive Time again and were told there was nothing they could do.
So we kept paying for the car praying it would stay together long enough for us to save up money for all the repairs it was obviously going to need. Then my Fiance lost his job about 6 months into having it and Drive Time told us that all they could do was hold off for about 2 weeks and then when I called in to let them know he hadnt been able to find a job yet and that I couldnt afford it, they asked me why I had told them I could. I told them I did not tell them that, the rep said they would have given me different options if I had told them the situation. I told them that I had infact explained exactly the situation and the only option given to me was what I took.
They all but called me a liar and threatened us with lawsuits and reposession. So after trying a few weeks more to get a job wondering each day if it would be reposessed we called in and were told the best option would be to voluntarily give it back and that it would be sold and we would be notified of when it was sold and would be invited to the auction ourselves. So figuring we had no other option we took it back handed over the keys and waited for notice. Its been more than a year later and we just now got a notice that we are being suied for the full amount of the remaining lease.
We were never notified of an auction or a sale and My fiance is out of work again. Periodically over the past year or so I had called to inquire and was told I was not on the lease and could have no information on it.
Never were we contacted by Drive Time or any other entity. Now we receive a letter dated 09/18 saying we have ten days to make arrangements but we received it today 10/08 so we never got the ten days and have no idea what we are supposed to do now.